Get All The Flavor Without the Added STUFF!
When is the last time you read the back of your ketchup or BBQ sauce bottles? Or how about the labels of the flavored waters and sports drinks that taste so good? Often times these foods that seem harmless are full of sugar, fat, salt, preservatives and unwanted calories! Here are some ways to add flavor to your foods and drinks without all the extra calories!
Add flavor to your water by adding slices of
- limes, lemons, or cucumber
- natural tea packets- get creative and mix two flavors like peach and raspberry
Add flavor to your favorite foods using natural ingredients/low calorie options such as:
- Bell peppers
- Stewed tomatoes (Mexican, Italian, etc…)
- Tabasco sauce
- Mrs. Dash seasonings (over 13 varieties)
- Lemon pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Curry powder
- Fresh herbs- basil, cilantro, and rosemary are my favorites
- Balsamic vinegar
Low calorie condiments:
- Mustard (try spicy mustard for an extra zing) – Add to tuna fish instead of high calorie mayo.
- Plain yogurt- Add to tuna instead of mayo or top a potato with yogurt instead of butter and sour cream
- Light Italian dressing- makes a great marinade
- Salsa- top potatoes with salsa instead of high calorie butter and sour cream or add on top or chicken instead of using BBQ sauce
What are some of your favorite ways to add flavor and variety when cooking?
So often in our busy lives we buy the already seasoned or flavored varieties of our favorite foods. Typically with convenience foods come a lot of unnecessary fat, sugar, and salt! By having some of the above ingredients on hand you are able to get creative in the kitchen and make your very own homemade nutritious foods while saving money and doing something good for your body!