Fast food is part of our culture and is not going away anytime soon. If you are unable to steer clear of it, do your best to make a healthy choice!
BE PREPARED! Remember your overall goals! Fast food and dieting don’t exactly go hand in hand but by being prepared, not being afraid to special order, and planning a little bit you can make eating at a fast food restaurant healthier.
Tips when going out to eat!
- Limit the extras – no high calorie sauces such as mayo or BBQ sauce.
- Stay away from liquid calories. Water please!
- Get the grilled option. Stay away from fried foods!
- Go skinless. Take off any skin that may be on your turkey or chicken
- Fresh fruit
- String cheese
- Beef jerky
- Protein bar or Granola bar (Cliff bar, Luna bar, Nature Valley, protein bar of choice)
- Nuts (single serving)
- Garden Sensation Salads- limit dressing, chose low fat, low calories or top with chili for a taco salad and a little extra protein!
- Grilled chicken sandwich
- Chili with potato – low fat sour cream if any
- Limit extra cheese and mayo on hamburgers
- Fresco style tacos and burritos
- Chicken soft tacos
- Chicken burrito
- Bean burrito
- Taco salad, but don’t eat the shell!
* beware of sour cream, cheese, and guacamole. These are all high calories extras. Use sparingly. Don’t be afraid to special order.
- Chicken McGrill, no mayo!
- Side salad- Light on the dressing. Choose low fat vinaigrette.
- Grilled chicken salad- Light on the dressing. Choose low fat vinaigrette
- Egg McMuffin
- Fruit and yogurt parfait (very high in carbs, beware if diabetic)
- Choose lean meats (chicken, turkey, ham, roast beef)
- Pile on the veggies
- Light on the sauces- choose low calorie sauces such as mustard, light mayo, or vinegar.
- Ask for no cheese- you usually cant even taste it on the sandwich and this will save you at least 100 calories.
- Choose whole grain breads
- Ask for thin crust
- Limit appetizers such as breadsticks or wings
- Load on the veggies
- Choose lean meats like Canadian bacon or chicken
- Have a side salad instead of going back for a second helping of pizza.