Tuesday, January 4, 2011

S.M.A.R.T Goals

Setting S.M.A.R.T Goals for the New Year


Whether our goals are based on the physical, financial, or spiritual aspects of life we are all capable of change if we put our minds to it. Write down your goals and sign them just like a contract. Be accountable to yourself!

 Make your goals SPECIFIC what is it that you want to accomplish, with all the details!

Make your goals MEASURABLE are you able to access your progress?

Make your goals ATTAINABLE are you setting yourself up for success? Is your goal within your reach given the current situation?

Make your goals RELEVANT is your goal applicable with your purpose in life?

Make your goals TIME SENSITIVE what is your time limit for completing your goal?

___________________________________________________________________


EXAMPLE:


Goal: I will exercise every day

Is it SPECIFIC?  NO (I will exercise everyday for at least 30min. whether at home or in the gym, including cardio and weight training exercises)

Is it MEASURABLE? Yes.  

Is it ATTAINABLE? Yes, but most likely NOT attainable (I will exercise at least 4 days a week for at least 30 min., whether at home or in the gym, including cardio and weight training exercises) By committing to 4 days instead of everyday I don’t have to be upset when my busy schedule gets in the way. I also give myself permission to rest. Plus, if there are only 4 days left in my week I KNOW I need to jump on it and make exercise a priority!

Is it RELEVANT? Yes. Exercise helps me maintain my weight, keep my body healthy, and helps me relieve stress.

Is it TIME SENSITIVE? No ( For one month I will exercise at least 4 days a week for at least 30 min, whether at home of in the gym, including cardio and weight training exercises) . After that month is over reflect and see if you want to continue with 4 days a week, increase to 5 days, or fall back to 3. The most important thing is that you continue to stay active! 

__________________________________________________________________

Life is dynamic, always changing! Each month take some time to review your goals and change them or add to them accordingly! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I use to do s.m.a.r.t. goals with my students and I've also posted something similar to this on my blog. I'm a big fan, and believe in this process ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! I have comitted to a 30 day organization and accountability challenge www.chalenejohnson.com and today I have to write out my top 10 goals for 2011. Here we go!!

    ReplyDelete