Everyone has their own theory about exercise and nutrition. Here are some common myths that have been circulating around. Get the FACTS!
1- Going to the gym is the best way to stay fit.
- Many people benefit from in home exercise programs or being active in the outdoors. The great thing about exercise if you can do it just about anywhere. Kiya and James with WEightless escape are experts in getting you out of the gym and exploring fitness on a whole new level.
2- To lose weight all I need is cardio. Weight training will bulk me up.
- Both cardio and weight training are an important part of your weight loss journey. Weight training is very important in maintaining lean muscle mass while lowering your body fat.
3- If you don’t have at least 30 min to workout it’s not even worth it.
- Any exercise is better than none. You have to start somewhere, even if that is a 15min walk at lunch time. Break your workout up during the day.
Example:15 min strength and stretch in the am or pm (crunches, pushups, ball squats, lunges, stretches) and 15 min walk/jog at lunch (hit the hills).
4- Avoid eating after 8pm.
- Often people have already ingested all the calories that they need for the day by this time so intake after 8pm isn’t justified. Nothing is wrong with eating late if you are using the food to fuel your body.
5- The more time you spend working out the better results you will get.
- Overtraining will stop muscle growth. Always make sure you give your body adequate rest.
6- If your parents are overweight most likely you will be too.
- Although genetics do play a part in body composition so does lifestyle. Keep active and pay attention to your daily food intake. Quality nutrition and exercise are the most important factors in preventing obesity.
7- Water aerobics is for older adults with injuries.
- People at any age can benefit from water aerobics. Water aerobics proves to be challenging and a great way to improve health and fitness. Even some top Olympic athletes incorporate water exercises to work their muscles a little differently.
8- If I do a lot of exercises for that trouble spot it will go away.
- The most effective way to change our bodies is to do a full body workout (cardio, weights, and stretching), along with proper nutrition. Fat will not fall off of our bodies in just one spot no matter how hard we work at it if the other components aren’t in check.